Monday 2 September 2013

5 Tips I Use to Teach Novice Paddlers

It seems like its been forever I've been in Dragon boat but the my path through coaching has only just begun. I'm still tackling multiple problems on site on the water and I recently figured out a way to coach novice paddlers how to paddle properly. I feel I just have to find a way to teach them the proper basics; not like how I was taught way back almost 8 years back I though I could share with people how I teach paddlers especially people starting out how to paddle properly and with form. 

1. Teaching how to hold the paddle properly.
This must be quite a duh step to put in but I believe it is one of the most critical to teach a novice. Handling a paddle and holding the it properly must be an essential step to how to paddle properly because if the paddler is holding it too far up or too far down the shaft of the paddle, he/she will essentially stick to that position for as long as he will go on in their dragon boat career. I think as coaches we should emphasise this even more because a minute difference in the way the paddler holds the paddle can make a difference into all the steps that follow. 

2. Look at your blade!
I always emphasize to each and every paddler on my team to keep a clean catch in the water. They should keep a clear and precise 'catch' with every entry and avoid any visible splashing especially when they are learning. 

3. Listen to the water!
With reference to entry of the blade, I also like to emphasize an extremely silent catch where theoretically they should hear a pin drop when they enter the water. No sound, nothing. All they should hear is an insertion of the blade into the water that brings an orgasmic feeling of perfection. No pun intended. Yet, i make it clear to them that it is all about the catch that will prevent the loss of any distributed water across the blade of their paddle and allow them full resistance as they pull through the water. 

4. Focus on one thing at a time. 
I think many of the paddlers try to get everything right the first time but I never like that. As a coach, I feel it is important to emphasize how important it is to do one thing right and then move on to another mistake in your stroke. For example, if both a paddler's entry and exit in his stroke is lacking, I will just get him to focus on just the entry. Think about that and that and nothing else. He will become better at his entry and eventually when he gets better, we move on to his recovery. Its that simple. 

5. Posture, posture, posture!
Sitting posture in a dragon boat is one of the most critical factors that always elude the novice paddler. They fail to take notice that dragon boat is a sport that requires a full body range of motion that requires perfect posture to execute. If you hunch, its as good as paddling with your arms. If you straighten out, you acquire more than 90% of your body to execute the stroke. So small stuff do make sense in the long run. 

I don't think this list is as exhaustive, but I stick to this system to really teach them the basics. Paddling through their habits will only serve to deprive them of future performance improvements and its only right to get the basics in their subconscious as quickly as possible. 

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain