Saturday 24 November 2012

Being a Coxswain. The Misconceptions.

I just recently came back fresh from a basic helmsman accreditation course to get myself certified (finally)! It doesn't seem like much to me because they were basically the same stuff that I have picked up before since I started paddling about 8 years ago.

The basic helmsman course aims to provide coxswains proper training for participants to pursue further accreditation in other courses that may very well lead to coaching certs especially in my case. However, I do realise the people that are getting themselves accredited come from all walks of life and all manner of teams. Surely an eye opener for me since I began coaching, I never really focused much on coxing because most of the teams I have coached, I have done the coxing myself. Only today I realised how many do not take this role seriously and see this as a waste of time. Some common misconceptions are:

Coxing is easier than paddling. Yeah I hear this all the time. When my paddlers dare to say this, I will ask them to drop the paddle and ask them if they are willing to take it up. Most say no. Because they tried it one day, they realised they suck at it and went back to their seats. Becoming a coxswain can be one of the most if not the most stressful jobs on the planet.In no other paddling sport do you as a coxswain have to bear the responsibility of 21 (including the drummer) lives in your hands, but you have to ensure the boat goes straight, watch out for other training or racing boats, motivate the team, understand wave dynamics, race strategy and the list goes on.. Go on and pick it up.. If u dare. 

The coxswain is the weakest paddler in the team. Then you obviously have not watched many races beyond the local races to even say this statement. At the international level, coxswains can be one of the most fittest paddlers and know much more about the boat run than anyone else in the boat. He has first hand knowledge of how and when to attack for a podium finish in a race. Even if he is weakest in body, he definitely won't be the weakest in intelligence. The only reason he became a coxswain was because he chose to.

Obviously at local levels, we don't really see much of a coxswain using his skill that much. But exceptions where races in China or Macau prove otherwise. Races where over 40 crew are part of their festivals and the coxswain is integral to the success of the team in races. Would you dare put a cox with 1 year experience doing that? Go figure.. Anyway here is a video to finish off this post. Nothing else comes close to 40 men paddling together. Till next time!



Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain